How To: Make A Kick Butt Resumé

It’s no secret that the job market is more competitive than it has ever been. With the sea of recent grads applying everywhere that I am, I know that I need to do something to grab the attention of potential employers and get them to actually read my resumé.

Please note: the designs in this tutorial are much more elaborate than you should use on your own resume, and are for illustration purposes. It’s VERY important to keep the position, company, and person reading your resume in mind when creating your resume. Simplicity is ALWAYS best!
Custom Resume Design
As a Marketing student, I’ve learned that you can never pay enough attention to a professional presentation. But as a graphic designer, I’ve learned that it’s vital you stay true to your personal brand in applying to companies that fit your “feel”. Today I’m going to walk y’all through how I made my creative resume and how you can set yourself apart from the crowd!
Resume Design Step One
No, I don’t mean with an iron. Imagine that you are a company, how would you present yourself?

Think of your skills as your product/service, your personality as the feel of the company, and think of where you are applying – what do they want to see in their “ideal” applicant?

Now, let’s make your personal logo!
1. Pick your colors. What colors are you always wearing? What color is your personality?
I picked seafoam because it’s beachy, the color of my room (and favorite shoes, and nails, and phone case…), calming, and professional. While in contrast, I picked mustard yellow because it is vibrant, energetic, passionate, and optimistic. Here is a cool website where you can learn the psychological meaning associated with each color.

2. Pick your font(s). I used Raleway Thin (a free Google font, also used here on my blog) because it is very legible but also has some personality on the letter “w” which is the most important letter in my name. Make sure that your fonts are VERY easy to read, you want them to remember your name. I know that pretty calligraphy fonts are really trendy right now, but it’s important to remember the position and company that you are applying for.
Here are a few examples:
Journalist, writer, blogger, etc – old school typewriter-esque font
Sales – Use a serif font with a little spunk (ex: Nixie One)
Artist – Use your own handwriting
Business, accounting, finance – I don’t think they will appreciate anything more creative than Arial 12pt

3. Add your headline. Normally, a lot of resume’s have an “objective” section, but I decided to simplify mine into a business tagline and make it more of a powerful statement! Make it short and sweet – who are you and what are you trying to do?

Alright, so now you have branded yourself and you’re ready to start making your resumé beautiful! I made my resumé in Adobe Illustrator, but you can definitely get creative in Pages, Word, and even Powerpoint. Just be sure that your document saves as a PDF (so it preserves all of the fancy things that you have done) and fits the 8.5×11 dimensions so your employer can print it.

Resume Design Step Two
1. Add your header & background. I suggest that you DO NOT add a colored background unless it is light gray or a very light pattern. Emphasis needs to be on who you are and what you can do for this company – not your favorite color screaming at them from the background.

2. Section off your content. Think: what do you want to add emphasis to? What actually matters to your employer? Do you want one or two columns?
I chose to highlight what I have done with Heart & Arrow, work experience, education, leadership, and my technical skills that are relevant to the job. Most importantly: How you format your resumé should be a strategic move.This really is your chance to have a little control over your employer’s first impression of you, so make sure you put your best foot forward!

3. Add your content!
Work Experience - PLEASE do anyone reading your resumé a favor and only include things that are at least somewhat relevant to what you’re applying for. If you don’t have anything other than babysitting back when you were in high school… I’m not really sure what you have been doing for four years in college, but you need an internship or a job… or five.

Education - I put less emphasis on this one (by putting it at the bottom)  mainly because my degree is in business and I am applying for a design based job. BUT I think that if your degree helps you score that dream job then definitely put it higher up on the list. Note: In this section I added study abroad, any majors and minors, academic honors, and my GPA. Feel free to add more or less.

Leadership – It’s proven time and time again that companies want to hire team players who plan to grow within their company. This is the section where you SHOW OFF! What have you done, how have you grown, what causes do you support, and how have you been a leader? You can definitely put the “started/ended” dates in this section, but I chose to take the minimalist approach.

Technical Skills – This is the part of a resumé where people typically list some beautifully inspired list of BS adjectives that will not score you any job. Actions speak louder than words, so list THINGS YOU CAN DO plus a tasteful amount of words that help round out your personality. Bonus points: I added a link to my personal blog here because it allows my employer to see my “skillz” in action. Hi future employers, thanks for stopping by!

Contact Information - Where you put this one is entirely up to you, and I don’t think it makes much of a difference. I’ve seen it in the header and it looks great there, too! Just make sure that your employers have the right information to contact you, and include any social profiles that will help build up your personal brand.  *Cue the “clean up your Facebook and Twitter because no one wants to hire an angry and opinionated drunkard” speech…*
resume-5
So there you have it, my tips for a fabulous, job scoring, kick butt, resumé! Remember, every person is different and it is so so so SO important to cater your resumé design to both who you are and where you are applying.

Good luck with your job hunt, and please feel free to ask any questions in the comment section below!

XX
WHITNEY BLAKE

Feeling inspired and ready to nail that job interview? Check out some of my current favorite office supplies!

Comments

1. says

I love this so much!! I wish I were going into a career where I could make a fun resume. I don’t think any corporations that I may try and apply at would be too fond of my resume looking so fun.

• Whitney says

Thanks Brittany! I actually never used this resume in any applications because it was just too much, but I did use a more simplified version :)

xo
      Whitney

• Whitney says

Thanks Allie! If you add a background pattern, make sure it is VERY subtle. Nothing too crazy!

Whitney

2. says

This was so helpful Whitney! I have to revamp my resume design and my personal brand soon, so I’m going to keep all of this in mind when I do so! Thanks for such a great post :)

xo, gina

3. says

Great tips! I love the look of your resume. I’m a PR major and I will be starting the daunting task of applying for internships soon. I wanted to ask you do you have any resources about graphic design? I would love to attempt to make a cool resume instead of a drab one.

• Whitney says

Hi Ciara!
      I make everything from scratch in Adobe Illustrator and honestly just googled things as I had questions. It basically just boxes and text boxes, nothing too fancy at all!

xo
      Whitney

4. Jessica says

Hey there! I think this is just great and I really love the look. What program did you use to create the document? Thanks!

• Whitney says

Hi Emily! I’m glad you liked the design but I would rather keep the actual template to myself :) As I stated in the post, it’s a little too over the top to actually be used in a job application, and it’s more for inspiration purposes.

xo
      Whitney

5. serena naranjo says

can you please which adobe illustrator you used cause I was looking at some and there all different. thank you for any of your help

6. Danny Pinto says

Your header is too big and the different font sizes in your sections have to much variance. Plus, you shouldn’t center your text, it looks childish. For your contact me section, you should list your LinkedIn page link if its a printed resume, icons are useless on paper.

7. Sarah says

Hi Whitney,
    nice work there! I’m not sure if you noticed already, but just in case you’re sending your resumee out again: I think there’s a typo in “opportunities” in the header :)
    Best from continental Europe
    Sarah

8. Kelsey says

Hi Whitney,

Did you use a certain software or website to create your creative resume? Or is there one that you may suggest? I am looking to design one and have been running into creative blocks with the basic software like word and adobe.

Thanks,
    Kelsey

• Whitney says

Hi Kelsey!
      I used Adobe Illustrator to make mine, but I also made a similar (more simple) variation in Pages for my mac. I just used text boxes and little square shapes to make the design – nothing fancy at all!

xo
      Whitney

9. Amanda says

Whitney,

What kind of job were you getting with this resume? As a college student about to look for jobs I think it’s a cute idea but I’m worried that as a scientist this could come off not professional? What are you opinions on doing this kind of resume if you’re going into the science field?

• Whitney says

Hey Amanda! I actually never even use this one because it’s just too fancy. I think in the science field you should stick to black and white (maybe one color) and a much more simple design. I feel like in your field they will want the info and not be concerned about the design haha.

I hope this helps!
      Whitney

10. Katelyn says

Hi Whitney,

Thanks for the tips. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to text wrap in InDesign. I’m a beginner and cannot seem to find the appropriate tutorials or the tools you used to wrap your text to the shape. Thanks in advance for any leads you could provide.

Best wishes,

Katelyn

• Whitney says

Hi Katelyn! I used Adobe Illustrator and I’m not very familiar with InDesign. I honestly just googled everything as I taught myself Illustrator.

Good luck with your design!
      Whitney

11. Leanna says

What program did you use to create this? I’m trying to find one to make my resume look better!
    Thanks!
    Leanna

12. Danielle says

Do you think you could post a pdf of yours! Its so beautiful and I feel like it really could make a statement!

13. says

99 only Disclaimer: The information is transferred
    from the CNN interview. James also revealed he and his teammates
    smoked marijuana had a prior arrest, only the desired
    perception of Customer Relationship herbalizer bags Management CRM has matured in the market.
    A lot of care and caution, the parent who suspects his child, then you will activate the vaporizer
    which they must seek treatment to aromatherapy vaporizers to offer.

Trackbacks

1. […] Blake has an awesome post on how to make an awesome yet still cute resumé! This post completely revitalized my resumé from high school that I was still using (can you say […]