Last week was kind of a slow one for the house reno. We got some huge milestones checked off (the ceilings are done!!) and also took time to nap/recover/not burn out.
On Monday, David and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary with Champagne and a full day of work on the house. How romantic, right?! In all honesty, working together to transform this place into our first home does feel pretty romantic to me ;)
With the help of his dad, David got that rotten patch of sub flooring replaced on Monday. Here’s the quick version: They had to pull the whole door frame out, pull all the rotten wood away, vacuum up/kill the ant infestation, cut new flooring, cut new wall supports (those were rotten around the door too), and then put it all back together. We currently have a tarp over the door while we wait for the new one to arrive next week. I’m sure our neighbors are starting to question whether we’re actually improving the house, haha.
While the guys were working on that project, the ladies and I were tackling cabinet doors. I’m going to save the details of prepping/painting the cabinets for it’s own post. This process is pretty detailed!
On Tuesday, our amazing painters finished up our ceilings! They look so fresh and so clean. And I can confidently say that the money was entirely worth it. Our house looks even brighter already and there isn’t a rough patch or speck of popcorn in sight!
Wednesday, David worked on some plumbing issues and started patching the missing siding. I vacuumed up the dust left from the ceilings and got to work sealing the stinky pet stains. Whoever lived here before us definitely had a dog or two, and definitely never let them out to go to the bathroom. Even after pulling up the flooring, the downstairs always had a slight smell of dog pee. I didn’t want to risk putting down our beautiful new floors only to have them stink like the subfloor beneath. So, after some extensive googling, I picked up a gallon of Zinsser BIN Primer (“ultimate stain blocker”) and got to work. I painted over each spot, and about 1-2 feet around them as well (that we previously bleached and then dried with cat litter).
When I came back to the house the next day, it smelled perfectly normal for the first time! The primer trick worked!!
The rest of the week was pretty slow. We finalized more design choices (like this amazing tile!) and I researched tips for painting with our fancy Sherwin-Williams Emerald paint. We also stopped by the warehouse to pick out our favorite marble slabs for the kitchen. I’m working on a whole post about marble countertops (for after they’re installed of course). The process of picking a natural stone countertop has been really interesting!
We’re so close to the pretty part! The house finally smells good, the ceilings look amazing, and the walls are almost totally prepped for paint. These next few weeks should be huge!
Check out all of my home posts here!